Few people enjoy having conflicts but they are an inevitable part of family life. It is unrealistic to think you can go a long time without a disagreement in your family. From bedtime, morning routines, transitions and homework, to sibling rivalry, screen time, and cell phone usage, you can't avoid conflicts. If children learn from a young age to deal with disagreements properly, it prepares them for society, and they are better able to cope as adults.
- Set the right example. Treat your children the way you want to be treated.
- Model effective conflict resolution with your partner. Show your child how grown-ups find solutions in a healthy and effective way.
- Give your child space to calm herself down before you address the heart of the matter.
- Don’t patronize what your children want, even if you can’t give it to them. For your children these wishes are real. “I know how much you want it, and I really wish I could just give it to you.”
- Stay away from Judging, Criticizing & Name Calling even when you feel irritated and annoyed. It creates unnecessary resistance and it chips away at their self-esteem.
- Talk about the cause of the disagreement before you talk about the solution.
- Let everyone finish talking, don’t interrupt your children and if they interrupt you say: “I can’t get my point across when you talk while I am talking.”
- Explain to your child why you are upset.
- Don’t make conflicts unnecessarily difficult with a lot of language when it involves young children.
- Discuss alternatives for next time.
Easier said than done? Our parenting workshop teaches you step-by-step conflict resolution skills. Enroll now in one of our upcoming winter classes.
Check Out All of Our WINTER Classes!
Winter 2016 Class Schedule:
Irvine - Wednesday evenings - 7:30pm - 9:30pm - January 20th - March 23rd
Eagle Rock - Thursday evenings - 7:30pm - 9:30pm - January 21st - March 24th
Irvine - Friday mornings - 9:15am - 12noon - January 21st - March 24th
Sherman Oaks - Tuesday evenings - 7:30pm - 9:30pm - January 12th - March 15th