The Overall Goal of P.E.T. is to teach parents very practical communication and conflict resolution skills to create more happy and satisfying relationships with their children. The skills we teach are:
The Core Values of P.E.T.
- Children have the right to get their important needs met.
- Parents have the right to get their important needs met.
- Preventing problems before they arise is better than waiting to deal with them after they occur.
- Families can become more loving, open, honest and happy when they solve problems and conflicts without anyone losing.
- Parents have the right to share their important values with their children.
Some Key Aspects of P.E.T.
1. Practical communication skills training so both parent and child get their needs met, without the use of parental power.
2. Effective alternative to punishment and reward.
3. A framework to determine when to use which communication skills for what purpose so you'll know what to say in the heat of the moment when emotions run high.
5. Democratic parenting style (I/O authoritarian or permissive) to have collaborative, cooperative relationships with children.
6. Empathic listening skills so children will grow up responsible and solve their own problems independently.
7. Assertive self-disclosure through honest, clear and non-blameful communication.
8. No-Lose Method of Conflict resolution so problems in your family stay solved.