Parent Effectiveness Training (P.E.T.)
Whether you’re the parent of a toddler or a teenager, you know that parenting can be challenging, even overwhelming at times. Unfortunately, children don’t come with an instruction manual. And, being a parent doesn’t always mean that you automatically or instinctively know what to do.
Parent Effectiveness Training (P.E.T.) is an 8 week program teaching you proven communication skills to help you become compassionate without being permissive, and to be more assertive without being authoritarian. When parents use these P.E.T. skills they are amazed at the dramatic improvements in their families and in all their relationships. This parenting method also referred to as P.E.T. was created by award-winning psychologist and three-time Nobel Peace Prize Nominee, Dr. Thomas Gordon. A major revision of the program has recently been completed with new content, examples and material that actively address the current problems, issues and concerns of today’s parents.
You, too, can learn these communication and conflict resolution skills through our parenting classes, taught by our Master Trainer Meike Lemmens. This intensive, proven workshop is taught only by instructors and master trainers certified by Gordon Training International. All workshops include hands-on practice, brief instructor presentations, workbook exercises, demonstrations, small group discussion and at-home application.
Some Key Aspects of P.E.T.
1. Practical communication skills training so both parent and child get their needs met, without the use of parental power.
2. Effective alternative to punishment and reward.
3. A framework to determine when to use which communication skills for what purpose so you'll know what to say in the heat of the moment when emotions run high.
5. Democratic parenting style (I/O authoritative or permissive) to have collaborative, cooperative relationships with children.
6. Empathic listening skills so children will grow up responsible and solve their own problems independently.
7. Assertive self-disclosure through honest, clear and non-blameful communication.
8. No-Lose Method of Conflict resolution so problems in your family stay solved.
The Core Values of P.E.T.
- Children have the right to get their important needs met.
- Parents have the right to get their important needs met.
- Preventing problems before they arise is better than waiting to deal with them after they occur.
- Families can become more loving, open, honest and happy when they solve problems and conflicts without anyone losing.
- Parents have the right to share their important values with their children.
The Goal of P.E.T.
The Overall Goal of P.E.T. is to teach parents very practical communication and conflict resolution skills to create more happy and satisfying relationships with their children. The skills we teach are:
- Listening with Understanding to help children express thought and feelings and solve their own problems independently.
- Preventing Problem Proactively so that families are happier and stronger.
- Communicating Assertively and Honestly to help parents express their wants and needs and deal with unacceptable behavior.
- No-Lose Conflict Resolution so the needs of both parents and children are met.
- Strategies to Deal with Values Collisions between parents and kids to increase understanding and acceptance.